Saturday, April 10, 2010

Not easy but learning from it- healthy and not healthy

Okay this is not easy. I am on my 5th day of the detox diet along with exercise and boy it is hard to get in to the swing of things. Good news is I am tuffing it out, it is worth being sore from working out (laughing even hurts) and not really looking forward to meals. The meal part will be ending soon but I have learned quite a lot about the foods that we eat and think are or are not healthy for us.

Not eating Red meat isn't very hard for my family, we have the occasional steak but the majority of our food is pork, chicken, ground turkey instead of ground beef and fish when I am able to sneak it in. Other stuff like white flour is a bit harder as we like our pasta and the whole wheat pasta just isn't the same.

I have been comparing labels lately too, my last shopping trip I went by myself and spent about 2 hours looking at the different items, now I did this on purpose just for interest and to get specific items for this weeks diet menu, I suggest you try it some time maybe not as in depth as I did, as I know us mom's usually don't have that kind of time to shop, so I suggest even little by little or isle by isle each time you go. What we think is healthier for us isn't always so. For instance I found out that the fruit loops that my husband and kids like is actually High in fiber and lower in sodium than my beloved Frosted flakes. Granted sugar is a high item on both but if you had to choose between one or the other fruit loops would be the better one.

Because of doing this I feel that I am on the road to choosing my families foods a bit wiser without sacrificing my need for yummy snacks and food in general. As Carla said from one of my favorite movies Connie and Carla said "I am an eater"

I will have an update for all of you on the weight and measurements on Tuesday so keep an eye out for that to see how successful the first week was.

No comments:

Post a Comment